Sunday, December 14, 2014

Willow Tote Bag


In November Kylie Gersekowski was looking for pattern testers and I was looking for a nice simple bag to make so it was just perfect when our paths crossed.
It's my first time testing for Kylie and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Willow Tote Bag is so easy to make and has a lovely boat like shape to it. It's perfect for taking out shopping and looks wonderful in different fabrics. Check out the inspiration photos on Kylie's blog HERE of the bags she made. From tomorrow you'll also be able to see the tester's bags. Because it's such a simple shape you can do as much or little as you like with it. You could add more pockets inside and out or just leave it as it is.

I wasn't sure if this would go down well with my customers because there is no main zipper just a magnetic button but it sold quickly and now I'm looking forward to making another one.
This could be the front or back view. This side has a zipper and the other side is plain.


I did my usual wavy line quilting. The bag called for fusible fleece. I used ordinary fleece and then did the quilting to hold it in place.




I thought instead of just doing straight stitching on the handles I'd mimic the squiggly lines on the bag. I quite like it, it looks different.


The pleather I used was a meter left over from when hubby had his car reupholstered.


There's no fuss to this bag. Inside there's loads of room and a couple of slip pockets on one side.


If you were to leave out the zipper then it would be a totally beginner bag but the zipper isn't that difficult and the pattern offers two options for how to sew it.
There are clear photos, step by step instructions and you'll find loads of tips and tricks to sewing with leather/pleather.


The Willow Tote will be available on 14/12/2014 from 12 noon (QLD time) via Kylie's WEBSITE. It will be on special for $5 (RRP: $8.50) for the first 24 hours.
 
Coming up in a couple of days is a clutch I tested for another new designer to me. I love it so much I tested one yesterday and then made another today. Who knows I may even make another tomorrow.
 
Happy Sewing
 
~ Maria ~


 

9 comments:

  1. The pleather straps and base go so nicely with the fabric - and the quilting on the straps is quite ingenious - I've never thought to do that, but now I will, lol! I've never used fusible fleece - I always have quilt batts on hand so I use that and quilt it to keep everything in place. Nice bag - I tend to like the simple ones the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely bag. Love your fabrics, the pleather handles and the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, Maria. You are the testing girl lately. It is fun seeing some new and different bags. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU so much for testing for me Maria. You are a gem!
    I love your bag and the quilting looks fabulous.
    I hope to work with you again in the future. Merry Christmas to you and your family x

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new bag and the colors.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is always cool to test patterns. You done a great job! I like your quilting especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria this bag is lovely and the pleather gives to it a very nice finish the quilting is great like always. It is always nice to test new bags and learn new things

    ReplyDelete
  8. This bag is absolutely beautiful. I love the wavy quilting. And, your sewing skills are perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~